Cape Level Nationwide Park is an unbelievable place simply 70 km from Cape City. The surroundings at Cape Level is really spectacular; white-sand seashores, rugged cliffs, dramatic drops, weird rock formations, fynbos vegetation, and so on. The wildlife on the park is sort of spectacular; ostriches, totally different antelopes, mongooses, zebras, tortoises, dolphins, and even whales within the season (July to September). It’s one of many must-visit locations in Cape City for nature and outdoor lovers.
Cape Level is an ideal place for a day journey from Cape City particularly for those who’re planning to spend a while on the park and do some mountaineering. You may mix a go to to Cape Level with the Cape Peninsula drive, probably the most scenic drives in Cape City.
The well-known Cape of Good Hope is contained in the Cape Level Nationwide Park. Many vacationers suppose it’s the southernmost level of Africa. In truth, it’s probably the most south-western level of the continent. The precise southernmost level of Africa and the assembly level of two oceans is 250 km west at Cape Agulhas.
Mountaineering is without doubt one of the many superb things to do in Cape City. The town is an ideal place for outside lovers right here you may take pleasure in diving, browsing, kitesurfing, paragliding, mountain biking, and extra.
Cape Level Nationwide Park
- Opening time – every day from 8am to 4pm
- Entrance payment – South Africans (with IDs); adults – ZAR 85/US$5, youngsters – ZAR 40/US$2,5; foreigners ZAR 340/US$22, youngsters ZAR 170/US$11.
Cape Level excursions and actions
Renting a automobile in Cape City
In the event you’re not native and don’t have a automobile in Cape City one of the best ways to maneuver round particularly for those who’re planning to go to some sights positioned outdoors town is to lease a automobile. To drive across the metropolis you don’t want an enormous 4×Four automobile. Relying on how many individuals you’re and what automobile you need you may lease a automobile (Kia Picanto, Datsun) from ZAR 200/US$13 per day (if renting for Three days). Automated automobiles are costlier, costs begin at ZAR 300/US$20 per day (if renting for Three days). The longer you lease a automobile for the cheaper it will get per day.
Cape City excursions and actions
In the event you don’t have time to plan your personal itinerary for Cape City you may be part of a mini-group tour that features the principle metropolis sights and a few journey actions.
Stunning day hikes at Cape Level Nationwide Park
Even for those who’re not planning on doing any mountaineering at Cape Level it’s nonetheless price together with this improbable place in your Cape City itinerary.
A lot of the urged day hikes we walked as part of a 2-day mountaineering route round Cape Level. Extra particulars on the Cape of Good Hope hike yow will discover beneath.
The Cape of Good Hope hike
- Distance – Three km
- Time – 1h30min.-2 hours
- Beginning/ending level – automobile parking tons at Flying Dutch Funicular or at Cape of Good Hope
- Highlights – Previous Lighthouse, Cape Level, Cape of Good Hope, Dias Seashore
If you wish to select one hike to do at Cape Level that is positively the one. It’s a straightforward quick stroll totally on boardwalks alongside the cliffs with improbable views. There are a few staircases to beat the Previous Lighthouse and down and as much as Dias Seashore (200 steps). There’s a funicular that runs from the parking zone to the lighthouse. You should purchase funicular tickets on-line to avoid wasting time. In the event you’re fortunate within the peak season (August-September) you would possibly spot Southern proper whales within the waters round Cape Level. A more in-depth encounter with these stunning giants you may have throughout a whale-watching boat tour in Hermanus.
This half is an optionally available on the primary day of the Cape of Good Hope trek after reaching the hut.
The Shipwreck Circuit
- Distance – 5 km loop
- Time – 2 hours – 2h30min.
- Beginning/ending level – automobile parking zone at Olifantsbos Seashore
- Highlights – untouched coast, a few shipwrecks, sandy seashores, and dunes, rocky swimming pools, fynbos vegetation.
The path goes by a really quiet a part of the park. It’s an awesome possibility for many who’ve been to the principle sights at Cape Level and need somewhat a solitary hike with possibilities to identify some wildlife. There is no such thing as a place to purchase meals or refill water on this route so ensure that to deliver sufficient water and snacks with you. As an possibility, you may shorten the hike and stroll to Thomas Tucker shipwreck and again as a substitute of doing a loop.
The Sirkelsvlei Circuit
- Distance – 6,5 km loop
- Time – Three hours – 3h30min.
- Beginning/ending level – automobile parking zone at Olifantsbos Seashore
- Highlights – fynbos, weird rock formations, various wildlife, Sirkelsvlei dam
One other circuit route that begins at Olifantsbos Seashore. You don’t get to stroll a lot alongside the coast however you do have stunning views of the coast. It’s an inland route with little or no shadow in summer time it will get extremely popular it’s higher to begin strolling early within the morning. You may mix this hike with the Shipwreck Path and stroll first half alongside the coast after which flip inland. On this case the whole strolling distance will probably be round 7,5 km.
The Kanonkop path
- Distance – 6,5 km return
- Time – Three hours – 3h30min.
- Beginning/ending level – Bufflesfontein Customer Heart automobile parking
- Highlights – an outdated cannon, improbable views from Kanonkop peak, blue Disas (in summer time)
It’s a pleasant route with an ascent to the height and a subsequent descent to the coast. The path presents nice views of the coast and the park. Between mid-January and February yow will discover blue disa orchids alongside the route. After descending from Kanonkop you may prolong your stroll to Venus Pool, a wonderful rocky tidal pool. It’ll add about 2,5 km to the hike.
This hike is part of the primary day route of the Cape of Good Hope trek for those who stroll the inland route.
In the event you like difficult walks you’ll take pleasure in one of many mountaineering trails up Desk Mountain. There are a number of stunning routes that go to the highest with the breathtaking surroundings.
Locations to remain close to Cape Level
Simon’s City is located km from the park presents nice lodging choices for various budgets. The attractive Boulder’s Seashore dwelling to a colony of cute African penguins is correct there.
Journey insurance coverage for South Africa
It’s all the time beneficial for vacationers to have journey insurance coverage particularly for those who’re planning on doing journey and outside actions in another country. World Nomads is a good possibility for vacationers. Their insurance coverage coverage could be very versatile, you should buy it earlier than or throughout your journey to cowl your complete journey interval or solely particular days. You may get an prompt quote now!
Cape City books & guidebooks
The Cape of Good Hope – a 2-day trek round Cape Level
The hike at one of many iconic vacationer sights in South Africa is an unbelievable experience, it’s one in all our favourite hikes in Cape City. We hope our Cape of Good Hope mountaineering information will enable you to to plan the hike. The whole distance of the hike 38,7 km. To finish the route you want 2 days and 1 evening. It’s a round route that begins and ends on the primary gate of the Cape Level Nationwide Park. You undergo the fynbos, over the cliffs, alongside the seashores many of the path goes by often visited by day guests a part of the park. This 2-day trek is an ideal weekend getaway from Cape City for many who take pleasure in mountaineering and nature.
In the event you like multi-day mountaineering trails, like strolling alongside the coast and recognizing wildlife on the best way you’ll positively benefit from the Otter Path, probably the most stunning treks in South Africa.
- Distance – 38,7 km loop + 7 km for those who stroll to the Cape Level from the hut and again
- Time – 2 days
- Elevation acquire – 1461 m
- Elevation loss – 1500 m
- Terrain – footpath, seashore, boulders
- Route marking – yellow footprints
Methods to e-book the hike?
You may e-book it over the cellphone (021-712-74-71 or 012-428-91-11) or e-mail ([email protected]) Mon-Fri from 8am to 4pm. You may test for out there mountaineering dates over the cellphone or by e-mail as properly. To verify your reserving it’s important to make a cost for the hut. After that, you’ll obtain a affirmation e-mail with a whole lot of data on the hike.
If you wish to do the hike over a weekend particularly in summer time months it’s extremely beneficial to make a reserving upfront. We booked it two weeks upfront and the closest to the weekend we may get is Friday.
There are Three in a single day huts; Erica (6 individuals), Protea (12 individuals, 2 rooms with 6 beds every), and Restio (12 individuals, 2 rooms with 6 beds every). You may e-book your complete hut even for those who’re solely 2 individuals however you’ll need to pay the complete worth. In any other case, you might need to share a hut with different hikers, not out of your group.
Notice! Presently, because of the COVID restrictions, it’s not allowed to share a hut with different teams, it’s important to e-book your complete hut and pay for it no matter how many individuals are going to remain at it. It really works out less expensive for those who’re a gaggle of 6.
How a lot does it price?
- The price of the in a single day huts – ZAR 358/US$24 per particular person, ZAR 2151/US$143 for a 6-people hut.
- Entrance payment to Cape Level Nature Reserve – South Africans – ZAR 85/US$5; foreigners – ZAR 340/US$22, free when you’ve got a Wild Card. Don’t overlook to deliver your ID to substantiate that you simply’re South African or a resident.
Lodging on the path
Hikers keep at one of many three in a single day huts; Protea, Restio, and Erica. Erica can accommodate 6 individuals, Protea and Restio 12 individuals (two rooms for six individuals every). The huts are clear and cozy. We’ve completed the hike twice and stayed at Protea and Erica huts. Protea and Restio are located subsequent to one another, Erica is a bit aside.
- bunk beds with mattresses
- a scorching water bathe (fuel heater)
- flushing bathroom
- electrical energy (photo voltaic lightning, no energy sockets)
- a braai place with a braai grid
- a kitchen with a fuel range, sinks, tables, chairs, pots, plates, cups, and utensils. There are usually not many cups I’d recommend bringing a plastic cup.
How troublesome is the hike?
The path isn’t very difficult; there are some ascents and descents however nothing hectic. For an unfit particular person not used to mountaineering, it could be powerful for moderately match hikers not. The warmth in summer time makes the hike tougher particularly for those who don’t carry sufficient water and don’t shield your pores and skin from sunburns. It’s not a hike to do with younger youngsters. In case your youngsters are older than 12 and used to mountaineering they need to be high-quality.
What to pack for the hike?
Hikers keep at absolutely geared up huts no want to hold any tenting or cooking gear until you’re planning to make meals or boil water on the best way.
- A sleeping bag, we had skinny summer time baggage it was fairly scorching outdoors however for those who do it in winter take a hotter one.
- A towel and toiletries for the bathe.
- A pillow (you may deliver a blow-up one or simply use your garments as a substitute).
- Flip flops or any comfy sneakers to alter into out of your mountaineering sneakers.
- A set of garments for sleeping.
- A headlamp or a torch in case you’ll need to hike in the dead of night.
- A digital camera/cellphone to take pictures or movies.
- A camel pack or a water bottle. In summer time ensure that to hold 2l of water per particular person it will get extremely popular, and there aren’t any locations to refill water on the best way.
- Meals, it’s as much as you ways a lot and what to deliver. We had steaks, smash, and cuscus for dinner; prompt oats, pastry, and low for breakfast; biltong and protein bars for lunch. You’ll want meals for 2 lunches, one dinner, and one breakfast.
- Coals for those who’re planning to braai.
The place to park your automobile?
There’s a secure parking zone contained in the park on the primary gate, all multi-day hikers go away their automobiles there. It’s freed from cost. Although it’s secure don’t go away any worthwhile stuff within the automobile.
Notice! You may stroll the route each methods clockwise or anticlockwise. The principle distinction is the space you stroll on Day 1 and Day 2. We’ve walked each methods clockwise and counterclockwise.
Strolling clockwise vs counterclockwise
It’s doable to stroll the path both approach; clockwise or counterclockwise. The official map recommends clockwise. We’ve completed the trek twice and stroll each methods. Keep in mind, on the primary day, you need to check-in on the gate earlier than 9am for those who’re late they won’t allow you to go.
- Your first day is brief, solely 13 km which is sweet contemplating that you simply’ll most likely begin strolling fairly late as you want time to drive to Cape Level first, check-in on the gate, and so on.
- As a result of the space is brief you’ll have sufficient time to do an additional loop round Cape Level, go to Dias Seashore, the Lighthouse, and so on. It’s about 10 km additional. I like to recommend leaving your backpacks on the hut and taking solely valuables with you earlier than you go to Cape Level.
- The second day is sort of lengthy, 23 km which suggests you’ll be completed by lunchtime or so.
Cape of Good Hope – a 2-day mountaineering itinerary
Day 1. Cape Level entrance gate to Erica hut (clockwise)
- Distance – 15,7 km
- Strolling time – Four hours
- Elevation acquire – 768 m
- Elevation loss – 805 m
On the primary day, you need to register for the hike on the entrance gate earlier than 9am. It’s important to begin your mountaineering day early particularly if you wish to do an additional loop and go to Cape of Good Hope and the Lighthouse. One more reason for beginning early is the warmth for those who stroll in summer time. There is no such thing as a shade the path is uncovered to the solar.
The primary day is my favourite; the path follows the coast and presents some breathtaking views of Cape of Level and Cape Peninsula.
There may be a route break up at Kanonkop; the shorter route goes extra inland previous Bufflesfontein Customer Heart, the longer route goes right down to the coast previous Da Gama Cross to Buffels Bay seashore. Quickly after Buffels Bay, each trails merge once more. We’ve walked each routes and the coastal one is ore favourite. On a scorching day, you may go for a fast dip at one of many tidal swimming pools.
In case you have time and power after arriving at your hut you may go away your stuff there (take solely valuables) and stroll to Cape Level, the principle touristy space of the park. There’s a footpath that goes over Da Gama peak right down to the parking zone and a restaurant at Cape Level. As soon as there you may stroll (or take Flying Dutch funicular) to the Lighthouse, Cape Level, Dias Seashore, Cape of Good Hope and stroll again to the hut the identical approach. It’s about 7-Eight kilometers return, you’ll want 2-Three hours for this stretch.
Don’t miss the sundown on the hut you get fairly spectacular views of Cape Peninsula from the above. On a transparent day, you may see the solar happening into the ocean. The views are simply as stunning as on the sundown hike up Lion’s Head.
Day 2. Erica hut to Cape Level entrance gate
- Distance – 23 km
- Strolling time – 5h30min.
- Elevation acquire – 693 m
- Elevation loss – 695 m
It’s higher to begin mountaineering early on the second day if you wish to be completed by lunchtime. The path on the second day is simply as uncovered to the solar as on the primary day. The primary half of the route after descending from the hut is alongside the coast with occasional strolling on the seashore. The second half is inland largely by the fynbos. On this stretch, you’ve possibilities to identify leopard tortoises, ostriches, and elands.