For many people youthful Vietnamese, Tet all the time had been one thing crucial to our households, to our tradition and to our individuals.
Nonetheless, we regularly don’t perceive sure things that the older people within the household normally say and do throughout these Three essential days of the Lunar New 12 months.
Identical to most of the younger Vietnamese residing abroad, I’ve been via the age of questioning and struggling to search out out the actual tales and causes behind every exercise and conduct that the Vietnamese individuals do for Tet.
It’s possible you’ll not agree with a number of the believes and traditions that I’m going to listing under, however studying this listing will prevent a number of headache and hopefully will aid you in beginning to recognize the great thing about our Vietnamese tradition and traditions:
The 10 Do’s:
1. Say “Comfortable New 12 months” in any language you can if you see a Vietnamese or an Asian particular person. In Vietnamese, it’s “Chuc Mung Nam Moi,” with an enormous smile!
2. Give pink envelopes (Li Xi), although within the outdated days, solely married individuals had been supposed to do that job within the new yr as a result of married individuals had been believed to be extra profitable than single people. Nonetheless, these days, giving freely Li Xi is an act of exhibiting your generosity and wishing the recipients luck all year long. Who doesn’t like getting cash from these pink envelopes? As a result of, I DO!
3. Smile, giggle typically, and be energetic. Simply don’t overdo the smiling and laughing as a result of individuals might misjudge you as somebody just lately discharged from an asylum or somebody on dope. Nonetheless, seeing somebody with a smile on his/her face will brighten the temper of anyone on any day, so undoubtedly do that!
4. Supply others one thing candy akin to candies or “mut Tet”. Individuals imagine that candy things will convey sweetness for the remainder of the yr.
5. Supply the aged a heat cup of tea if they’ve misplaced all their tooth or have diabetes. A heat cup of tea is believed to ship happiness, heat, and the flavorful candy style to the particular person. Vietnamese households normally collect round throughout Tet to only drink tea. The tea won’t be heat, however love of household is unquestionably heat.
6. Go to all of your relations. That is your golden excuse to go to your relations and meet up with them. That is my golden excuse to fulfill the remainder of my crowded relations to make it possible for that cute chick I’m courting doesn’t occur to be my fifth cousin. (J/Okay!)
7. Give something associated to quantity 6 or 8. It is because our tradition has been tied with some facets of Chinese language tradition. Quantity 6 in Cantonese sounds just like the phrase “Loc” in Vietnamese, which implies Luck. Quantity Eight in Cantonese sounds just like the phrase “Phat” in Vietnamese, which implies Prosperity. I personally don’t imagine in these, however I’ll do something to make individuals completely satisfied. So, giving $6 or $Eight for Li Xi would beat the $10. In the long run, I save $2 to $Four for every Li Xi and nonetheless make others completely satisfied. Good trick huh?
8. Give something pink in coloration, akin to watermelon, li xi, dried fruits in a pink field (mut Tet), and so on. The colour pink is related to Luckyand Excessive Class rankings in Asian tradition, particularly those which might be closely influenced by Chinese language tradition. As well as, the colour pink brings heat emotions or hotness, like fireplace. So in brief, pink brings luck and heat to the household.
9. Put on new, colourful, stunning garments with mild colours. Put these wrinkled, smelly garments within the washer already!
10. Give the next package deal of fruits: custard apple, coconut, papaya, and mango. In Vietnamese, the fruits, respectively: Mang Cau, Dua, Du Du, Xo Within the Vietnamese Southern accent, the fruits might be pronounced as “Cau Dua Du Xai”, which implies “wishing you having sufficient cash to spend”.
Nonetheless, when you learn quantity Four on the 10 Dont’s Checklist under, you will notice that individuals normally take out the custard apple from the package deal because of the problem of discovering it throughout Tet and the idea that Four is a foul quantity. You’ll typically see the package deal incorporates solely coconut, papaya, and mango, which provides you the mixture of “Dua Du Xai”, the truncated model with the which means of “Sufficient Cash to Spend”.
The 10 Dont’s:
1. Don’t present up at anyone’s home on the first day except you might have been invited by the home proprietor first. In any other case, go on the 2nd day or at a later time. Individuals imagine that the primary one that exhibits up at their home will convey to the household all of the traits of that particular person. If an individual is a profitable particular person, the household might be profitable. If the particular person has been unfortunate final yr, the household might be in unhealthy luck all this new yr.
So it’s best so that you can keep house till somebody has invited you over. It’s their sign of telling you that both somebody already has entered their home for this yr or they personally like your traits to have you ever over and produce them luck. Imagine it or not, I don’t assume all this luck stuff is true, however I like to recommend you to take heed to this recommendation to keep away from being unreasonably blamed.
2. Don’t put on darkish clothes or simply black and white. Darkish, black, and white clothes is believed to be related to dying and funerals. By the way in which, put on one thing good and vigorous–it’s New 12 months!
3. Don’t swear, curse, trash speak, or argue. Any of those is already unhealthy for any time of the yr, not alone the New 12 months…
4. Don’t give presents with unfortunate indicators. For instance: Any meals with squid or duck meat and quantity Four and seven.
Squid produces black liquid, which is taken into account to be soiled and dangerous, although the squid itself tastes tremendous good! Geese are believed to be silly and their meat is darkish (a minimum of darker than hen meat).
Quantity Four is pronounced as “Tu” within the outdated Vietnamese language system which sounds virtually like “Tu”, which implies Die or Loss of life within the outdated Vietnamese language that’s closely influenced by the Chinese language language. Most individuals have mistaken the very fact of quantity 7 being a fortunate quantity. Nonetheless, in outdated Vietnamese language, 7 is pronounced as “That”, which is identical spelling and similar sound because the phrase “Misplaced” or “Lacking” in outdated Vietnamese language. So in Vietnamese, quantity 7 is definitely very unhealthy! Not as fortunate as you thought.
Oh yeah, and in case you are in Vietnam, don’t eat or give canine meat throughout New 12 months. I’ll inform you the explanation in particular person.
5. Don’t discuss unfavourable matters akin to accidents, deaths, or funerals. Who likes to speak about this stuff anyway?
6. Don’t ask somebody to repay you a debt or mortgage. Wait till the subsequent 2-Three weeks. Individuals imagine that in the event that they must repay or borrow cash at the start of the yr, they must borrow and repay cash for the remainder of the yr. Finest time of the yr to dodge your debt, eh?
7. Don’t ask for “Li Xi” if it was not given. That is thought of equal to asking the particular person to pay their debt. In my private opinion, this has extra to do civilly and politeness.
8. Don’t go to anybody’s home for the primary Three days of the lunar calendar if in case you have funeral in your speedy household within the final Three years. Vietnamese individuals imagine that the useless particular person within the household is not going to go to Hell throughout the first Three years of his or her dying.
Their spirit will comply with the relations for Three years earlier than they both get drained from it or witness the truth that the household has gotten over the very fact of their dying. Individuals don’t need spirits to enter their home throughout New 12 months as a result of gods, goddesses, and Buddhas are partying it up throughout this time and paying much less consideration in guarding the home of the house owners from ghosts and spirits.
So, sit house along with your beloved spirit; individuals will come to your own home to share your disappointment if they’re thoughtful. You do not need to take any silly blame if some household sheds some blood for one thing that’s completely unrelated to you.
9. Don’t take or ask to take things which might be associated to fireside out of anyone’s home akin to: lighters, matches, coals, fireplace fluid, gasoline, and so on. Hearth is taken into account to be the supply of the heat of the household, the will of couple’s love. It’s believed that households with fireplace taken away may have issues throughout the household. Firefighters ought to take Three trip days throughout Tet if their station occurs to be throughout the Asian neighborhood.
10. Don’t take or ask to take things which might be associated to water out of anyone’s home akin to: bottles of water, water containers, water dispensers, consuming cups, glasses, and so on. Individuals normally want one another “Tai Loc Nhu Nuoc” or “Cash and success coming in like water”.
So, taking water out of anyone’s home is equal to taking away their wealth. If you’re thirsty, drink the water inside the home, don’t take the bottle house or you will notice the proprietor coming to your own home to take again their waterbottle with an offended face.
Lastly, I want all of the readers and vacationers a cheerful new yr, a profitable 12 months, a tremendous 365 days, and a beautiful 8,760 hours along with your family members!
Chuc Mung Nam Moi!