Cape Level Nationwide Park is an unbelievable reserve simply km from Cape City. The surroundings at Cape Level is really spectacular; white-sand seashores, rugged cliffs, dramatic drops, weird rock formations, fynbos vegetation, and many others. The wildlife on the park is kind of spectacular; ostriches, totally different antelopes, mongooses, zebras, tortoises, dolphins, and even whales within the season (July to September). It’s one of many must-visit locations in Cape City for nature and open air lovers.
Cape Level is an ideal place for a day journey from Cape City particularly should you’re planning to spend a while on the park and do some mountain climbing. You may mix a go to to Cape Level with the Cape Peninsula drive, some of the scenic drives in Cape City.
The well-known Cape of Good Hope is contained in the Cape Level Nationwide Park. Many vacationers suppose it’s the southernmost level of Africa. The truth is, it’s probably the most south-western level of the continent. The precise southernmost level of Africa and the assembly level of two oceans is 250 km west at Cape Agulhas.
Mountain climbing is likely one of the many wonderful things to do in Cape City. Town is an ideal place for out of doors lovers right here you’ll be able to get pleasure from diving, browsing, kitesurfing, paragliding, mountain biking, and extra.
Cape Level Nationwide Park
- Opening time – every day from 8am to 4pm
- Entrance price – South Africans (with IDs); adults – ZAR 85/US$5, kids – ZAR 40/US$2,5; foreigners ZAR 340/US$22, kids ZAR 170/US$11.
Lovely day hikes at Cape Level Nationwide Park
Even should you’re not planning on doing any mountain climbing at Cape Level it’s nonetheless value together with this improbable place in your Cape City itinerary.
A lot of the steered day hikes we walked as part of a 2-day mountain climbing route round Cape Level. Extra particulars on the Cape of Good Hope hike you will discover under.
The Cape of Good Hope hike
- Distance – Three km
- Time – 1h30min.-2 hours
- Beginning/ending level – automobile parking heaps at Flying Dutch Funicular or at Cape of Good Hope
- Highlights – Previous Lighthouse, Cape Level, Cape of Good Hope, Dias Seaside
If you wish to select one hike to do at Cape Level that is undoubtedly the one. It’s a straightforward quick stroll totally on boardwalks alongside the cliffs with improbable views. There are a few staircases to overcome the Previous Lighthouse and down and as much as Dias Seaside (200 steps). There’s a funicular that runs from the car parking zone to the lighthouse. You should buy funicular tickets on-line to avoid wasting time. When you’re fortunate within the peak season (August-September) you would possibly spot Southern proper whales within the waters round Cape Level. A more in-depth encounter with these lovely giants you’ll be able to have throughout a whale-watching boat tour in Hermanus.
This half is an optionally available on the primary day of the Cape of Good Hope trek after reaching the hut.
The Shipwreck Circuit
- Distance – 5 km loop
- Time – 2 hours – 2h30min.
- Beginning/ending level – automobile car parking zone at Olifantsbos Seaside
- Highlights – untouched coast, a few shipwrecks, sandy seashores, and dunes, rocky swimming pools, fynbos vegetation.
The path goes by a really quiet a part of the park. It’s an important choice for many who’ve been to the principle points of interest at Cape Level and wish relatively a solitary hike with possibilities to identify some wildlife. There isn’t a place to purchase meals or refill water on this route so be sure that to carry sufficient water and snacks with you. As an choice, you’ll be able to shorten the hike and stroll to Thomas Tucker shipwreck and again as an alternative of doing a loop.
The Sirkelsvlei Circuit
- Distance – 6,5 km loop
- Time – Three hours – 3h30min.
- Beginning/ending level – automobile car parking zone at Olifantsbos Seaside
- Highlights – fynbos, weird rock formations, numerous wildlife, Sirkelsvlei dam
One other circuit route that begins at Olifantsbos Seaside. You don’t get to stroll a lot alongside the coast however you do have lovely views of the coast. It’s an inland route with little or no shadow in summer time it will get highly regarded it’s higher to start out strolling early within the morning. You may mix this hike with the Shipwreck Path and stroll first half alongside the coast after which flip inland. On this case the entire strolling distance will probably be round 7,5 km.
The Kanonkop path
- Distance – 6,5 km return
- Time – Three hours – 3h30min.
- Beginning/ending level – Bufflesfontein Customer Heart automobile parking
- Highlights – an previous cannon, improbable views from Kanonkop peak, blue Disas (in summer time)
It’s a pleasant route with an ascent to the height and a subsequent descent to the coast. The path provides nice views of the coast and the park. Between mid-January and February you will discover blue disa orchids alongside the route. After descending from Kanonkop you’ll be able to prolong your stroll to Venus Pool, an attractive rocky tidal pool. It’ll add about 2,5 km to the hike.
This hike is part of the primary day route of the Cape of Good Hope trek should you stroll the inland route.
When you like difficult walks you’ll get pleasure from one of many mountain climbing trails up Desk Mountain. There are a number of lovely routes that go to the highest with the breathtaking surroundings.
The Cape of Good Hope – a 2-day trek round Cape Level
The hike at one of many iconic vacationer points of interest in South Africa is an unbelievable experience. We hope our Cape of Good Hope mountain climbing information will show you how to to plan the hike. The whole distance of the hike 38,7 km. To finish the route you want 2 days and 1 evening. It’s a round route that begins and ends on the principal gate of the Cape Level Nationwide Park. You undergo the fynbos, over the cliffs, alongside the seashores many of the path goes by sometimes visited by day guests a part of the park. This 2-day trek is an ideal weekend getaway from Cape City for many who get pleasure from mountain climbing and nature.
When you like multi-day mountain climbing trails, like strolling alongside the coast and recognizing wildlife on the best way you’ll undoubtedly benefit from the Otter Path, some of the lovely treks in South Africa.
- Distance – 38,7 km loop + 7 km should you stroll to the Cape Level from the hut and again
- Time – 2 days
- Elevation acquire – 1461 m
- Elevation loss – 1500 m
- Terrain – footpath, seaside, boulders
- Route marking – yellow footprints
The best way to e book the hike?
You may e book it over the telephone (021-712-74-71 or 012-428-91-11) or e-mail ([email protected]) Mon-Fri from 8am to 4pm. You may test for accessible mountain climbing dates over the telephone or by e-mail as nicely. To verify your reserving you need to make a fee for the hut. After that, you’ll obtain a affirmation e-mail with plenty of info on the hike.
If you wish to do the hike over a weekend particularly in summer time months it’s extremely really useful to make a reserving prematurely. We booked it two weeks prematurely and the closest to the weekend we might get is Friday.
There are Three in a single day huts; Erica (6 individuals), Protea (12 individuals, 2 rooms with 6 beds every), and Restio (12 individuals, 2 rooms with 6 beds every). You may e book all the hut even should you’re solely 2 individuals however you’ll must pay the complete value. In any other case, you may need to share a hut with different hikers, not out of your group.
Be aware! At the moment, because of the COVID restrictions, it’s not allowed to share a hut with different teams, you need to e book all the hut and pay for it no matter how many individuals are going to remain at it. It really works out less expensive should you’re a bunch of 6.
How a lot does it price?
- The price of the in a single day huts – ZAR 358/US$24 per individual, ZAR 2151/US$143 for a 6-people hut.
- Entrance price to Cape Level Nature Reserve – South Africans – ZAR 85/US$5; foreigners – ZAR 340/US$22, free you probably have a Wild Card. Don’t overlook to carry your ID to substantiate that you just’re South African or a resident.
Lodging on the path
Hikers keep at one of many three in a single day huts; Protea, Restio, and Erica. Erica can accommodate 6 individuals, Protea and Restio 12 individuals (two rooms for six individuals every). The huts are clear and cozy. We’ve accomplished the hike twice and stayed at Protea and Erica huts. Protea and Restio are located subsequent to one another, Erica is a bit aside.
- bunk beds with mattresses
- a scorching water bathe (fuel heater)
- flushing rest room
- electrical energy (photo voltaic lightning, no energy sockets)
- a braai place with a braai grid
- a kitchen with a fuel range, sinks, tables, chairs, pots, plates, cups, and utensils. There usually are not many cups I’d counsel bringing a plastic cup.
How tough is the hike?
The path isn’t very difficult; there are some ascents and descents however nothing hectic. For an unfit individual not used to mountain climbing, it is likely to be robust for moderately match hikers not. The warmth in summer time makes the hike tougher particularly should you don’t carry sufficient water and don’t defend your pores and skin from sunburns. It’s not a hike to do with younger kids. In case your children are older than 12 and used to mountain climbing they need to be superb.
What to pack for the hike?
Hikers keep at absolutely geared up huts no want to hold any tenting or cooking gear except you’re planning to make meals or boil water on the best way.
- A sleeping bag, we had skinny summer time luggage it was fairly scorching outdoors however should you do it in winter take a hotter one.
- A towel and toiletries for the bathe.
- A pillow (you’ll be able to carry a blow-up one or simply use your garments as an alternative).
- Flip flops or any snug sneakers to vary into out of your mountain climbing sneakers.
- A set of garments for sleeping.
- A headlamp or a torch in case you’ll must hike at the hours of darkness.
- A digital camera/telephone to take images or movies.
- A camel pack or a water bottle. In summer time be sure that to hold 2l of water per individual it will get highly regarded, and there aren’t any locations to refill water on the best way.
- Meals, it’s as much as you ways a lot and what to carry. We had steaks, smash, and cuscus for dinner; prompt oats, pastry, and occasional for breakfast; biltong and protein bars for lunch. You’ll want meals for 2 lunches, one dinner, and one breakfast.
- Coals should you’re planning to braai.
The place to park your automobile?
There’s a secure car parking zone contained in the park on the principal gate, all multi-day hikers go away their automobiles there. It’s freed from cost. Although it’s secure don’t go away any precious stuff within the automobile.
Be aware! You may stroll the route each methods clockwise or anticlockwise. The primary distinction is the space you stroll on Day 1 and Day 2. We’ve walked each methods clockwise and counterclockwise.
Strolling clockwise vs counterclockwise
It’s potential to stroll the path both means; clockwise or counterclockwise. The official map recommends clockwise. We’ve accomplished the trek twice and stroll each methods. Bear in mind, on the primary day, you must check-in on the gate earlier than 9am should you’re late they won’t allow you to go.
- Your first day is brief, solely 13 km which is sweet contemplating that you just’ll in all probability begin strolling fairly late as you want time to drive to Cape Level first, check-in on the gate, and many others.
- As a result of the space is brief you’ll have sufficient time to do an additional loop round Cape Level, go to Dias Seaside, the Lighthouse, and many others. It’s about 10 km additional. I like to recommend leaving your backpacks on the hut and taking solely valuables with you earlier than you go to Cape Level.
- The second day is kind of lengthy, 23 km which implies you’ll be accomplished by lunchtime or so.
Cape of Good Hope – a 2-day mountain climbing itinerary
Day 1. Cape Level entrance gate to Erica hut (clockwise)
- Distance – 15,7 km
- Strolling time – four hours
- Elevation acquire – 768 m
- Elevation loss – 805 m
On the primary day, you must register for the hike on the entrance gate earlier than 9am. It’s important to start out your mountain climbing day early particularly if you wish to do an additional loop and go to Cape of Good Hope and the Lighthouse. Another excuse for beginning early is the warmth should you stroll in summer time. There isn’t a shade the path is uncovered to the solar.
The primary day is my favourite; the path follows the coast and provides some breathtaking views of Cape of Level and Cape Peninsula.
There may be a route cut up at Kanonkop; the shorter route goes extra inland previous Bufflesfontein Customer Heart, the longer route goes right down to the coast previous Da Gama Cross to Buffels Bay seaside. Quickly after Buffels Bay, each trails merge once more. We’ve walked each routes and the coastal one is ore favourite. On a scorching day, you’ll be able to go for a fast dip at one of many tidal swimming pools.
When you have time and vitality after arriving at your hut you’ll be able to go away your stuff there (take solely valuables) and stroll to Cape Level, the principle touristy space of the park. There’s a footpath that goes over Da Gama peak right down to the car parking zone and a restaurant at Cape Level. As soon as there you’ll be able to stroll (or take Flying Dutch funicular) to the Lighthouse, Cape Level, Dias Seaside, Cape of Good Hope and stroll again to the hut the identical means. It’s about 7-Eight kilometers return, you’ll want 2-Three hours for this stretch.
Don’t miss the sundown on the hut you get fairly spectacular views of Cape Peninsula from the above. On a transparent day, you’ll be able to see the solar taking place into the ocean. The views are simply as lovely as on the sundown hike up Lion’s Head.
Day 2. Erica hut to Cape Level entrance gate
- Distance – 23 km
- Strolling time – 5h30min.
- Elevation acquire – 693 m
- Elevation loss – 695 m
It’s higher to start out mountain climbing early on the second day if you wish to be accomplished by lunchtime. The path on the second day is simply as uncovered to the solar as on the primary day. The primary half of the route after descending from the hut is alongside the coast with occasional strolling on the seaside. The second half is inland largely by the fynbos. On this stretch, you could have possibilities to identify leopard tortoises, ostriches, and elands.