Climbing Mount Kinabalu is a good experience however an costly one. On this weblog put up we talk about all climbing package deal choices, how one can do the hike, lodging, finest season for mountain climbing and what to anticipate.
At 4101m above sea degree Mount Kinabalu is the tallest mountain in Borneo and one of many highest in South East Asia. Low’s Peak is the best level and may be climbed with none particular gear or coaching. It’s a steep hike that entails using some information ropes scrambling up and down the steepest components. The hike is hard when performed in in the future and the views spectacular. Sadly like most different longer hikes in South East Asia it’s not doable to do impartial and thus mainly unattainable to do for reasonable.
Mountaineering Mount Kinabalu
Mount Kinabalu is the best peak in Sabah’s Crocker Vary. The panorama is actually stunning and vary from tropical rainforest to subalpine close to the summit. Climbing the mountain is steep and fairly robust with greater than 20 000 individuals making an attempt to succeed in Low’s Peak per yr. The route is straightforward to comply with, however may be slippery and visibility unhealthy when it rains and the fog will get very dense.
Guidelines for climbing Mount Kinabalu modified considerably within the final couple of years. I’ve climbed Mount Kinabalu in 1 day, splitting the obligatory information with Four different hikers in complete the climb value me about $50, since 2015 in the future permits are usually not out there any longer, you possibly can solely do the hike over 2 days costing $400 and up!
Your entire hike is 8.72km a technique, so 17,Four km return over two days with an elevation achieve of 2300m and off target 2300m to stroll down. Climbers have two days to try the climb. On day one hikers begin at Timpohon Gate ascending to Laban Rata the place they in a single day. Day two is a really early begin with climbers beginning at round 2 am climbing to Low’s Peak to make it for dawn earlier than turning round and descending alongside the identical path.
From Timpohon Gate to Laban Rata
The hike up Mount Kinabalu often begins between 7.30-10.30 am. The hike takes between 3-5 hours to succeed in Laban Rata from Timpohon Gate. From Timpohon Gate the route is properly marked with indicators marking the path each couple of hundred meters. The path begins out going up, the incline for the primary 4 kilometers is average to tough on a rocky floor and numerous stairs, primarily stone steps with a few picket staircases, about half the path is climbing up stairs! I didn’t rely however heard there are 380 flights of stairs on the primary day! The final two kilometers to Laban Rata is steep and really rocky. The vertical ascent is 1400 metres from Kinabalu Park.
Day two the summit
The whole distance for day two is 11.Four km, from the summit it’s nonetheless a great distance down. From Laban Rata, the climb could be very steep, it’s only 2.7 km to the summit with a improve in elevation of 800m! principally sluggish progress up steps and over easy rock faces.
There are about 180 units of steps on the second day nearly all within the first 700m, from right here the following 2 km is on easy granite rock surfaces, there are information ropes to help and comply with the summit. There’s numerous scrambling getting up this robust half, usually utilizing the ropes to rise up over the sleek floor. Some part are actually steep and holding on to the ropes when happening is usually needed.
The hike was robust with an elevation achieve of 2229m in complete. I labored as a dive teacher for Three months on Sipadan doing no strolling for months earlier than doing the Kinabalu climb! My muscular tissues had been sore afterwards!
Mount Kinabalu through Ferrata
Mount Kinabalu has the best through ferrata route on the planet and is famend for its spectacular views. A through ferrata, that means ‘iron highway’ in Italian, is a protected mountain pathway consisting of rails, cables and bridges on the steep rock face. By utilizing the through Ferrata, steep rock faces that may usually solely be climbed by mountaineers and rock climbers with experience may be climbed by anybody of avg health, even with none experience.
This highway begins at 3,200 meters and ends at 3,776 meters above sea degree. This mountain pathway consists of a sequence of rails, cables, and bridges that lead you from the place to begin to the tip, strolling subsequent to the rock’s face.
The Mount Kinabalu By way of Ferrata has 2 routes; Stroll the Torq and Low’s Peak Circuit. Lows Peak Circuit is the harder route. No climbing experience is required to try both of the routes.
The route has a size of 1.2km and a improve in elevation of 365m. The Mount Kinabalu climb through Ferrata begins at about RM2000 ($510).
The through ferrata is completed after reaching the summit. In the event you do the traditional hike you’ll begin happening after reaching the summit, however you probably have opted for the through ferrata (Stroll the Torq or Low’s Peak) you’ll do the extra exercise after reaching the summit, earlier than they head down the mountain.
Lodging on Mount Kinabalu
- Laban Rata Hut – Hosts 77 normal summit climbers each worldwide and Malaysian.
- Pendant Hut Hosts 33 By way of Ferrata climbers, each worldwide or Malaysian
- Lemaing Hostel 25 normal summit climbers, solely Malaysian
The right way to Climb Mount Kinabalu with or with no Tour.
Mount Kinabalu can’t be climbed impartial, it’s obligatory to make use of a information. As much as 5 individuals are allowed to share one information so this isn’t a giant expense. It’s nonetheless not obligatory to do an organised tour. You possibly can guide every little thing by yourself, or use an company, which is clearly simpler, however extra expensive.
Climbing Kinabalu with out an company – It’s doable to arrange the hike by yourself, a very powerful factor that’s often absolutely booked forward of time is the lodging on the mountain. Do all your individual reserving the next method:
- Guide a mattress at Laban Rata lodging on the mountain by contacting Sutera Sanctuary Lodges (SSL) the administration of lodging in Kinabalu Park and Laban Rata www.suterasanctuarylodges.com.my or visiting their workplace in Kota Kinabalu
- Go to Park Headquarters the day earlier than within the morning and guide a information.
- Arrive on the Park Head quaters, pay for allow, insurance coverage, mountain information, shuttle bus and park entrance charge. Obtain a packed lunch, identification tag (have to be worn through the hike)
- Meet your information
- Get on the shuttle bus
- Begin trekking
Since there are restricted areas out there individuals guide as far forward as doable. It’s all the time doable to get a final minute reserving, individuals usually cancel, if you’re alone your possibilities of getting a final minute reserving is a lot better. I do know solo vacationers that acquired final minute bookings in 2019.
Attempting to pay money for SSL by electronic mail may be irritating.
Reserving by an company – reserving by an company is dearer, however they often make it trouble free, with many packages beginning and ending in Kota Kinabalu and together with a number of companies. We record a pair right here, I’ll advocate you learn opinions on the assorted excursions. Please learn the phrases and circumstances cautious when reserving, most bookings just isn’t refunded upon cancellation of the climb for any reason.
Climbing Mount Kinabalu Packages
There are a number of choices for climbing mt Kinabalu; the 2 day one evening possibility (2D1N), the three day 2 evening possibility (3d2N) and mountain climbing Mount Kinabalu through Ferrata. There are a lot of firms providing packages to climb the mountain.
- Sutera Sanctuary lodges are the most affordable, they personal the lodging on the mountain and all firms will arrange lodging by them, including to the worth.
- Reserving affirmation and what’s included within the package deal is obvious which is sweet.
- Sutera Sanctuary web site not nice (web site down January 2019), reserving on-line is tough.
- Generally sluggish to answer emails.
- Packages don’t embrace transport.
As a consequence of competitors the worth distinction between packages supplied by completely different firms is shrinking and corporations don’t solely compete on value, however supply all inclusive packages and attempt to offer you a greater experience.
Mt Kinabalu – the 2 day one evening possibility (2D1N) – with no tour
The 2-day one-night possibility is the shortest and hottest method of at present climbing Mt Kinabalu. While you guide your mountain climbing package deal by SSL you reserve a spot for climbing and your dormitory mattress on the mountain. The package deal contains meals and lodging, you continue to must pay a few different charges:
- Sabah Parks entrance charge Malaysian R3/foreigner R15 – $3.68
- Climbing allow Malaysian RM50/foreigner RM200 – $49.02
- Climbing insurance coverage, obligatory RM7 – $1.72
- Obligatory Information RM230 can cut up one information with as much as 6 hikers =RM38 – $9.31
- Transport to and from the top of the path from Park HQ. RM68 return per group of 4 = RM17 per individual – $4.17
- Sutera Sanctuary mountain climbing package deal Malaysian RM875/foreigner RM1309 staying in dormitory lodging – $320.68
- TOTAL $388.58 value for solo worldwide climber staying in dormitory lodging*
* Non-public Rooms can be found on the following value per room (sleeps 2) – Worldwide: RM3,147.00 ($771.40), Malaysian: RM2,279.00
For a world climber sharing a room will work out $64.80 per individual dearer than staying within the dormitory.
Optionally available charges
- Memento certificates: RM10
- Left-luggage storage: RM12
- Mountaineering pole rental : RM15
- Rent porters: The speed is RM8 for every kg of baggage. – don’t know why you would wish a porter to hold your stuff for one evening.
Klook Price range 2D1N Inclusive Climb
Nice costs, solo non-Malaysian climbers $410, nice reductions couple from $330 pp – extra information costs reserving – Climb Kinabalu
- Single evening lodging at Panalaban Hostel (unisex shared dormitory)
- Shared round-trip transfers
- Entrance charges and climbing allow
- Skilled mountaineering information
- English-speaking coordinator
- Certificates of Participation
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and late supper for 2D1N
- Insurance coverage
Not Inclusive Of:
- Porter charges
- Suggestions and gratuities (non-compulsory)
- Mountaineering information for kids and youths aged 5-15 (MYR230 per information)
- Time beyond regulation prices upon descent (MYR15 per hour)
- Time beyond regulation prices for transportation throughout descent (MYR80 per van, one-way)
- Malaysian Tourism Tax (MYR10 per participant)
Common Klook 2D1N Kinabalu Climb
Hottest Kinabalu climb with Klook, solo non-Malaysian climbers $557, Malaysian RM 1880, nice reductions couple from $493 pp non-Malaysian, RM 2020 Malaysian – extra information costs reserving – Climb Kinabalu
Discover Borneo and Climb Kinabalu
Wish to discover extra of Borne and see all of Sabah? Try this superior 17 day journey on this tropical paradise. Summit Kinabalu, discover the right island of Pulau Tiga (the place they shot a season of Survivor), go to Mulu Nationwide Park and Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre, I had a good time in Sepilok. Extremely Rated, small group tour. Test it out and guide right here Borneo journey together with climbing Mount Kinabalu
River Junkie Excursions
- River Junkie Excursions a Borneo-based tour operator is a dependable, reliable, price range possibility for Mt Kinabalu.
- Excellent web site.
- Simple to succeed in, very responsive.
- Glorious opinions on Tripadvisor and different web sites.
- They are going to value match if you happen to discover a cheaper cope with a distinct operator.
2D1N packages can now solely be confirmed inside 30 days of the climbing date and are topic to restricted availability.
- Minimize-off time for beginning the hike is 10:30, attempt to get to Kinabalu Park Headquarters early.
- Register, obtain tags and meal vouchers, choose up packed lunch from restaurant. Meet your information go to beginning gate collectively. Hike 6km to Laban Rata Resthouse (3300m above sealevel), examine in.
- Hike is principally stairs and rocky terrain with the final km the hardest.
- Avg mountain climbing time Four to six hours
- Keep in dormitory, bedding supplied, deliver garments for chilly climate thermals, beanie and many others.
- Apparently buffet meals is nice, can refill water bottles at dinner
- Rise up 2:30 for ascent, deliver headlamp
- Hike 3-Four hours to summit for dawn
- Descent takes avg 5-6 hours
The three day two evening possibility (3D2N)
These packages don’t take any longer to summit, you get an additional evening round Kinabalu park, mixed with further actions. The benefit is that these packages may be booked greater than 30 days prematurely.
The Finest season to climb Mt Kinabalu
The perfect months to climb mt Kinabalu are February, March and April the dry season. The worst time is October to January throughout monsoon season as a consequence of heavy rains. Summit climb is usually cancelled throughout heavy rain, climbers need to go down after spending the evening within the resthouse.
Mt Kinabalu lodging
Kinabalu Park is situated about 2 hours from the capital, Kota Kinabalu. There are a lot of public buses of various budgets doing this journey. If you should guide lodging near the park there’s a selection out there for each price range we advocate the next:
Backpacker Price range Kinabalu Valley Homestay – For $10 per evening, room is an excellent deal. Good location close to Kinabalu park, pleasant house owners, shared lavatory, use of kitchen nice for price range vacationers.
Need a bit extra luxurious after the hike? Ren – Hana Kampungstay Kundasang – superior location close to the park, good view of Mount Kinabalu, personal bathroom- $27 for room
Gear for climbing Kinabalu
Gear that’s important for this hike:
LIKE IT? PIN IT!