There are a lot of points of interest and locations of curiosity in and round Cape City which are value visiting. Even when you stay right here it’s tough to go to all of them. Like another metropolis Cape City has some particular highlights that may’t be skipped. On this put up we chosen the highest points of interest which are must-visit for first-timers. These are our options when you really feel like skipping a few of them and visiting completely different locations as an alternative it’s as much as you to resolve.
If you happen to don’t have sufficient time to go to many points of interest and have to decide on the principle ones I’d select Desk Mountain, Bo Kaap, Robben Island, Constantia and Camps Bay. These 5 symbolize the variety of Cape City. You possibly can go to all of them in sooner or later.
Finest areas to remain in Cape City
Relying on for the way lengthy you’re planning to remain within the Mom Metropolis. If you happen to come for a few days I’d strongly advocate staying near the Metropolis Bowl. It’ll prevent a variety of time on driving, you will get round with out a automobile by the Metropolis Bus or Uber. Totally different areas of the town middle are good for various causes.
Staying proper in Downtown in Bree Road or Lengthy Streets is nice for single vacationers, there are numerous bars and eating places, a number of hostels. It’s very social space, nice for assembly folks. The middle is an efficient place to remain for individuals who are on a enterprise journey. Workplaces of many large firms in addition to Cape City Worldwide Conference Middle are situated right here.
Inexperienced Level (Sea Level)/V&A Waterfront
This space is a extra appropriate choice for households, couple and people who favor the tranquility of the seaside to the bustling streets of the town middle. There are a few supermarkets, many eating places, espresso outlets and one or two large playgrounds within the space.
The costliest neighborhood of Cape City with no price range lodging choices. It’s an ideal space to remain when you’re on a honeymoon or on a romantic vacation.
If you happen to’re planning to remain in Cape City for a few weeks I’d recommend staying within the metropolis middle for the primary couple of days to go to the principle points of interest after which shifting to a unique space. We love Massive Bay/Blouberg, it’s about 20km from Downtown. The world is nice for browsing and windsurfing, there are a few seashores with lengthy promenades good for working or biking. If you happen to keep in Massive Bay you’ll be able to simply get round with out a automobile just about every thing you want together with a few supermarkets, many eating places, cafes, surf outlets are strolling distance away.
Finest methods to maneuver across the metropolis
Renting a automobile is the best technique to transfer round. I’d positively advocate it when you’re a few folks it’ll be cheaper than doing excursions. Having a automobile is nice when you’re planning to go to some locations outdoors the town e.g. Stellenbosch, Cape Level, safari parks, and so on.
Automotive rental costs at Cape City Worldwide Airport
For visiting points of interest throughout the metropolis Metropolis Sightseeing Bus is a good choice. There are 4 completely different routes that take you to all of the sights in Cape City. I truly favor this feature it’s simpler, you don’t have to fret about parking, visitors, discovering the fitting avenue and so on. On the bus you get informative feedback concerning the metropolis and the principle points of interest. There are 1 and 2-day tickets. A 2-day ticket contains the Sundown Bus tour, 2 strolling excursions and a seal cruise. You should buy Metropolis Sightseeing bus tickets on-line.
If you happen to’re planning to go to many metropolis points of interest and to make use of the Metropolis Sightseeing Bus quite a bit it could be value to purchase The Cape City Metropolis Go. The Go provides you free entry to 90 points of interest. You need to use the Metropolis Bus without spending a dime during your Go. There are Three and 5-day Passes that may be bought on-line. The countdown begins from the day you activate your Go. With the Premium Go you’ll be able to select one of many following actions; Nice White Shark Cage Diving, Massive 5 Safari, Cape City Helicopter flights, Whale Watching and extra.
Bucket-list locations to go to in Cape City
We mixed the town points of interest into 5 teams based on their places to make it simpler so that you can plan your Cape City vacation. We now have an in depth 3-day itinerary for Cape City that could be useful in your planning. If you happen to’re fortunate to have greater than Three days within the Mom Metropolis you need to use it as properly there are some non-compulsory days that reach the itinerary to Four or 5 days.
Group 1: Desk Mountain, Lion’s Head & Sign Hill, Bo Kaap neighborhood, Fort of Good Hope and District Six Museum. You’ll want the entire day to go to all these locations. If you happen to’re planning to hike up Desk Mountain I’d advocate going there very first thing within the morning. Then within the afternoon visiting the Fort of Good Hope and District Six Museum. Stopping for lunch someplace in between. Within the night cease at Bo Kaap and from there go to Lion’s Head to look at the sundown.
- Finest time of the day to go to; morning or night (not when you’re planning to hike), it typically lined in clouds within the afternoon
- Admission payment; cable automobile ticket – ZAR 350/US$18 adults, ZAR 180/US$9 youngsters.
- Working hours; the cable automobile operates relying on the season between 8am and 8pm (summer time), 8am-6pm (winter).
- Parking; alongside the street resulting in the Decrease Aerial Cableway station, the nearer to it you’ll be able to park the higher.
- Hop-on bus route; the pink route. You should buy a mixed Metropolis bus/Cable automobile ticket.
Essentially the most recognizable attraction that Cape City is thought for all around the world. If you need to select one sight to go to within the metropolis Desk Mountain is unquestionably the one. There are alternative ways of attending to the highest. The simplest and the quickest one is to take a cable automobile from the car parking zone.
Strolling to the highest is an alternative choice however I’d strongly advocate, for security causes, selecting a preferred route like Platteklip Gorge. Morning is the most effective time for mountaineering to the highest; it’s good and funky even in the summertime and there are fairly a number of folks on the path, particularly on weekends.
If you happen to resolve to hike up ensure to put on snug sneakers. Mild mountaineering sneakers would be the ultimate however trainers or sneakers will work effective as properly. Take no less than 1 liter of water per particular person, the ascent is hard and also you’ll be thirsty. There is no such thing as a place to refill the water until you attain the highest. Placed on sunscreen, put on a hat or a cap and take a lightweight jacket, on the highest it could be fairly chilly even on a sunny day. You possibly can be a part of a guided hike to Desk Mountain that features pickup and drop-off at your resort, a information, snacks and water.
There’s one other path to the highest of Desk Mountain from the Decrease Cable Automotive station. It’s known as India Venster (Indian Window). The route is gorgeous however tougher than the Platteklip it entails some rock scrambling. If you wish to climb this route I’d advocate for security causes to hitch a mountaineering tour.
You possibly can mix each choices: stroll up and take the cable automobile down or different means round. On the highest yow will discover a store promoting snacks and souvenirs, a restaurant, a cable automobile station with a ticket workplace and bathrooms.
- Finest time of the day to go to; on the sundown
- Admission payment; free
- Working hours; 24 hours, no gate
- Parking; alongside the street that results in Sign Hill. There’s one other parking spot between Lion’s Head and Desk Mountain, decrease down, if there isn’t any place on Lion’s Head it’s normally empty, but it surely’s an additional 10-15min. stroll to the path head. Parking is free.
- Hop-on bus route; the pink route goes previous Lion’s Head however there isn’t any bus cease there, the closest cease is at Decrease Cable Automotive station.
One other symbolic mountain in Cape City. If in case you have an excellent creativeness it is possible for you to to see that the form of the hill has some resemblance with the pinnacle of a lion. To get to the highest of it you’ll must stroll there isn’t any different choice. The primary a part of the route is only a steep footpath, it simply makes you a little bit bit drained. The final half is more difficult and entails some ladders and ropes, don’t fear most individuals will have the ability to do it. To get good views of the town you don’t must climb all the way in which to the highest. Be sure to put on snug sneakers not flip-flops, they’ll be uncomfortable for climbing the ladders.
In its place as an alternative of climbing Lion’s Head you’ll be able to go to the highest of Sign Hill. It’s the neighboring hill that’s simpler to entry, the street goes just about all the way in which to the highest. The views from there are spectacular as properly. Sign Hill is a well-liked spot for paragliding with touchdown on the seashore at Sea Level. It’s higher to guide the exercise beforehand to verify there shall be out there gear and teacher.
Each Lion’s Head and Sign Hill are very fashionable spots for watching the sundown. On a pleasant day lots of of individuals come right here. Lion’s Head might be the most effective sundown spot within the metropolis. If you wish to make it in time for the sundown I’d advocate coming right here a few hours earlier to discover a parking spot and to have sufficient time to make it to the highest (there shall be some visitors on the path). As an choice you’ll be able to be a part of a sundown/dawn mountaineering tour as much as Lion’s Head.
For many who don’t need to drive across the metropolis chasing the sundown and on the lookout for a parking spot, Sundown Sightseeing Bus tour is a good various. The bus leaves between 5pm and 6pm (relying on the sundown time) from V&A Waterfront. It takes vacationers to a few fashionable sundown spots together with Sign Hill.
- Finest time of the day to go to; in the course of the daylight
- Admission payment; free
- Parking – The Riebeeck Sq. car parking zone on Shortmarket St., value from ZAR 20/US$1.
- Hop-on bus route; the pink route
Essentially the most colourful neighbourhood of Cape City is a must-visit place. Its cobbled streets with colourful homes painted in pink, blue, inexperienced, yellow, orange and purple is an actual metropolis’s gem. Bo Kaap is without doubt one of the favourite spots for photographers and instagrammers.
Bo Kaap is without doubt one of the oldest neighborhoods within the metropolis. The title Bo Kaap in Afrikaans means “high Cape” referring to the placement of the neighborhood on the highest of the hill. The historical past of Bo Kaap dates again to to the occasions when slavery was nonetheless allowed within the British Empire and hundreds of slaves principally from Malaysia and Indonesia had been dropped at South Africa. Lots of them settled down in Bo Kaap. Most of them had been Muslim. Bo Kaap is residence to the oldest mosque within the nation.
Initially the neighborhood wasn’t that colourful, all homes had been painted white. After the ablution of slavery residents of Bo Kaap painted their homes in shiny colours as an indication of freedom.
Relying on how a lot time you’ve gotten you’ll be able to cease right here simply to take a few pictures or to discover the world in a extra substantial means with the town biking tour. If you happen to like cooking you would possibly take pleasure in a cooking class in Bo Kaap the place you’ll be able to learn to make conventional Malay dishes.
Fort of Good Hope
- Finest time of the day to go to; 10am and 12pm Key Ceremony, 10am, 11am and 12pm Cannon firing
- Admission payment; ZAR 50/US$2,5 adults, ZAR 25/US$1,5 youngsters
- Working hours; day by day 9am-7pm
- Parking; there’s a free (as much as 2 hours) car parking zone at 10 Darling Road, 50m from the Fort
- Hop-on bus route; the yellow line. The pink line bus cease in Lengthy Road is simply 2 blocks away.
The Fort was constructed within the 17th century as a fortification building to guard the world from doable assaults from the ocean. It’s thought-about one of many best-preserved 17th century constructions on this planet. Through the 17th-18th centuries the whole metropolis was situated throughout the Wall. It housed a church, bakery, varied workshops, homes, outlets, a jail and different services. If you wish to be taught extra concerning the metropolis historical past and the Fort you’ll be able to be a part of a guided tour. Excursions begin every day at 11am, 12pm, 2pm, 3pm and 4pm.
District Six Museum
- Finest time of the day to go to; 9.30am, 10.30am, 11.30am, 1.30pm and a pair of.30pm guided excursions occasions (it’s higher to pre-book a tour)
- Admission payment; ZAR 45/US$2,5 adults, ZAR 15/US$1 youngsters (self-guided go to)
- Working hours; Mon-Sat 9am-4pm, closed on Sundays
- Parking; you need to use the identical parking at 10 Darling Road, the Museum is 400m away from the Fort.
- Hop-on bus route; the yellow line. The pink line bus cease in Lengthy Road is simply 2 blocks away.
District Six was a residential space in Cape City the place from 1966 to 1994 the tip of the apartheid solely white folks had been allowed to reside. Non-white residents of the district had been forcefully eliminated to the suburbia areas. A few of these areas these days are big townships. You possibly can go to a few of them with a guided tour that begins at District Six.
Visiting first the Fort after which the Museum is a good way to be taught the historical past of Cape City from the time it was based until the fashionable interval.
If you wish to be taught extra concerning the apartheid time and meet among the ex-residents you’ll be able to be a part of a guided museum tour or a guided website stroll tour. It’s higher to rearrange each excursions beforehand.
Really helpful books about South African historical past
Finest locations to eat within the space
Reality Espresso Roasting (Metropolis Middle) one of many locals’ favourite espresso locations within the metropolis. Nice espresso, many espresso primarily based drinks, and desserts. Open Mon-Sat 7am-9pm, Solar 7am-4pm.
New York Bagels (Metropolis Middle) is our favourite place to come back for breakfast after our weekly morning run up Desk Mountain. They’ve scrumptious bagels (salmon and cream cheese is my private favourite), nice espresso and freshly-baked pastry. Open Mon-Fri 7am-4pm, Sat 7am-2pm, Solar closed.
Lekker Vegan (Metropolis Middle) is a vegan junk meals restaurant (they name it this fashion) the place you will get vegan burgers, chips,wraps and toasties. Open Mon-Sat 12pm-8.30pm, Solar closed.
For genuine Cape Malay flavors the most effective is to discover a small family-run place in Bo Kaap. Faeeza’s Residence Kitchen (Bo Kaap) is an efficient place for curry lovers. Open Mon-Sat 9am-5pm, closed on Sundays.
Harvest Cafe & Deli (Bo Kaap) is a good place to come back for a wholesome breakfast. Smoothies, wholesome bowls, eggs Benedict, avocado toasts and so on. Open Mon-Sat 7.30am-4pm, Solar 8.30am-1pm.
Cooks Warehouse & Canteen (Bree Road) the place to come back for tapas-like lunch or dinner in a contemporary minimalist model. Open Mon-Sat, lunch 12pm-2.30pm, dinner 4.30pm-8.30pm. Closed on Sundays.
Bombey Bicycle Membership (Gardens) – a cool place to come back for a few drinks and dinner. The menu could be very numerous from ribs and seafood to vegetarian and vegan dishes. Open Mon-Sat, bar 4pm-midnight, kitchen 6pm-11pm.
The Canine’s Bollocks (Gardens) one other Capetonians’ favourite. An excellent place to come back for a really casual dinner with a beer. Burgers listed here are the most effective within the metropolis. It’s a cool place for a youthful crowd. Open Mon-Fri 7.30am-10.30pm, Sat-Solar 8.30am-10.30pm
Group 2. Robben Island, V&A Waterfront, Two Oceans Aquarium, Sea Level & Camps Bay. Strive to decide on a pleasant sunny day for visiting these points of interest since you’re going to spend so much of time by the ocean. It’ll take round 7 hours to go to these locations. A tour to Robben Island requires 3h30min. It’s higher when you take the earliest tour to the Island, at 9am from V&A Waterfront.
Visiting the sights from this group could be mixed with the points of interest from Group 3. Begin the morning with a go to to Robben Island then go to the Aquarium. After, drive to Kirstenbosch Botanical Backyard, you’ll want 2 hours or so to stroll round. From there head to Constantia and go to a few wine farms. After the wine tasting drive to Camps Bay, Sea Level and V&A Waterfront to look at the sundown.
From Camps Bay within the afternoon head to Desk Mountain, from there to Bo Kaap and end the day watching the sundown from Lion’s Head.
- Finest time of the day to go to; morning, it’s simpler for planning the remainder of the day
- Admission payment; ZAR 550/US$30 adults, ZAR 300/US$16 youngsters. The worth features a return boat trip to the Island and a 2-hour guided tour.
- Working hours; boats depart Four occasions a day at 9am, 11am, 1pm and 3pm.
- Parking; there are a number of lined parking heaps on the Waterfront however they’re fairly costly. If you happen to’re staying shut by it’s higher to depart your automobile and stroll.
- Hop-on bus route; the pink route and the blue route
The Island performs an essential function in South African historical past. Nelson Mandela spent 20 years in jail on the island. Robben Island is about 7km away from the mainland. The title means “Island of Seals”. The entire space of it’s only 5km. From the early 17th century until 1991 the Island was used as a jail. In 1999 the Island was declared a World HHeritage Website.
Robben Island could be visited solely as part of a tour. You should buy tickets on-line. Through the tour you would possibly have the ability to see penguins, seals and dolphins.
Victoria & Alfred Waterfront
- Finest time of the day to go to; morning and night
- Parking; there are a few lined parking heaps, value
- Hop-on bus route; the pink route and the blue route
One of many most secure and most touristy areas of Cape City with many eating places, memento outlets, a few malls and costly motels. It’s not the place to get an genuine experience but it surely’s simply good to walk alongside the harbor, to look at native musical bands acting on the road and drink a cup of espresso with the ocean view. The Waterfront is a pleasant place to come back for the sundown to drink a glass of wine. If you wish to have a particular night you’ll be able to be a part of a Sundown Champagne cruise from the Waterfront. You possibly can mix the cruise with a 3-course dinner.
One other thought for a romantic night is to board the Cape Wheel for a picnic within the sky. You possibly can have a 30-minute trip with a picnic basket that you simply fill along with your favourite snacks at one of many native shops.
Things to not miss at V&A Waterfront
- The Harbor
- The Cape Wheel
- V&A Clock Tower
- Waterfront Swing Bridge
- Zeitz Museum of Up to date African Artwork
There are a number of excursions that depart from the Waterfront. For the most effective views of Cape City take a 30-minutes helicopter flight. You’ll get an opportunity to see Desk Mountain, Lion’s Head, Cape Level, the Stadium, and just about every thing in and across the metropolis. It’s a good way to begin your Cape City journey since you’ll get a significantly better thought of the town and its fundamental points of interest.
Whereas strolling on the harbor now and again, look down, normally you’ll be able to see a few seals within the water. For a better encounter with these playful animals you’ll be able to take a 30-minute boat cruise alongside the Waterfront.
Two Oceans Aquarium
- Finest time of the day to go to; feeding occasions. Penguin feeding – every day at 11.30am and a pair of.30pm. Shark feeding – Sundays at 3pm. Sea turtles, rays and larger fish – every day at 12pm and 2pm.
- Admission payment; ZAR 185/US$10 adults, ZAR 140/US$7 youngsters (14-17 yo), ZAR 90/US$4,5 youngsters (4-13 yo), youngsters below Four years outdated – free.
- Working hours; Mon-Fri from 9.30am to 6pm, Sat, Solar from 9am to 6pm
- Parking; the Aquarium doesn’t have its personal parking, the closest parking is Parkwood parking storage, 50 meters away. Worth – ZAR15/US$1 for 1 hour, the longer you park the cheaper it will get per hour.
- Hop-on bus route; the pink route and the blue route
The Aquarium is unquestionably a must-visit place for vacationers with youngsters. There’s a lot to be taught and to see right here. You possibly can spend a half of a day admiring the unimaginable range of marine life within the chilly water round Cape City. The setting created inside makes you really really feel such as you’re underwater. There are a number of gigantic aquariums that show native fish reminiscent of sharks, rays, turtles, yellow-tails, and lots of others. A 10-meter lengthy aquarium-tunnel is without doubt one of the highlights, you’re surrounded by water, anyplace you look you see fish and different marine life. If you happen to’re planning to go to the Aquarium on weekend or throughout December vacation I’d strongly advocate shopping for your tickets on-line to save lots of time.
The Aquarium provides some distinctive experiences reminiscent of scuba diving or face-to-face penguin encounters. For scuba diving in one of many aquariums you’ll want minimal Open Water qualification or same-day PADI Uncover Scuba Diving course.
- Finest time of the day to go to; any time in the course of the daylight
- Parking; alongside the street
- Hop-on bus route; the pink route and the blue route
Sea Level Promenade is without doubt one of the hottest locations for jogging, biking or rollerblading. It stretches alongside the coast for 4km from the Waterfront nearly all the way in which to Clifton Seashores. Many locals come right here on weekends or throughout holidays to follow sport, meet-up with family and friends and simply to spend a while having fun with the ocean. There aren’t any specific sights to see right here, only a lone promenade with avenue cafes and meals kiosks. It’s a pleasant space to remain, it’s near the ocean and the town middle however not as costly as V&A Waterfront or Camps Bay.
- Finest time of the day to go to; any time, appears very lovely on the sundown
- Parking; alongside the street on the seashore facet
- Hop-on bus route; the pink route and the blue route
The fanciest neighborhood of Cape City with good white-sand seashores, ice-cold waters of the Atlantic Ocean and luxurious mansions crowning the highest of the hills. It’s some of the picturesque areas of the town. The views from Maiden’s Cove parking are spectacular; big boulders on the waterline, sandy seashores, and the city squeezed between the ocean and the Twelve Apostles mountain vary. Camps Bay is a good space to remain when you can afford it there isn’t any price range lodging right here. If you happen to’re not planning to cease for lunch right here, 30 minutes shall be sufficient to see the world and to make a few photograph stops.
Group 3. Kirstenbosch Botanical Backyard & Constantia. As I discussed above these two locations could be mixed with Group 2. Each the Backyard and Constantia are situated outdoors the town middle on the opposite facet of Desk Mountain.
Kirstenbosch Botanical Backyard
- Finest time of the day to go to; afternoon in the summertime. You possibly can spend the most popular time of the day within the shade of the timber and revel in a picnic on the grass. Free guided excursions within the Backyard are Mon-Sat at 11am and 2pm.
- Admission payment; ZAR 75/US$Four adults, ZAR 20/US$1 youngsters (6-17 yo), youngsters below 6 years – free.
- Working hours; every day, September to March (summer time) 8am-7pm, April to August (winter) 8am-6pm.
- Parking; free parking at Gates 1, 2 and three
- Hop-on bus route: the blue route
Kirstenbosch is a inexperienced paradise throughout the metropolis. If in case you have time you’ll be able to spend just about the entire day right here. The Backyard occupies . Guests can see right here hundreds of species of crops and flowers that develop in numerous elements of the nation. There are a number of strolling routes and longer mountaineering trails contained in the Backyard. Together with the Skeleton Gorge, a lesser-known route as much as Desk Mountain. I’d strongly advocate strolling this route on weekends or public holidays when there are extra folks. In any other case you are able to do a guided Skeleton Gorge hike that features pick-up and drop-off at your resort, a information and snacks and water.
If you happen to’re planning on doing one of many longer hikes (Skeleton Gorge or Nursery Ravine), morning is the most effective time earlier than it will get too sizzling. Needless to say there isn’t any cable automobile going from the highest of Desk Mountain to Kirstenbosch. It means when you arrive by automobile you’ll must stroll down again to the Backyard the identical technique to get to yourr automobile. If you happen to take a bus you’ll be able to stroll as much as Desk Mountain and get down by cable automobile down on the opposite facet. Make certain to hold sufficient water, to put on snug sneakers and a cap.
Each season Kirstenbosch is completely different. Spring and early summer time is the most effective time for visiting the Backyard when you’ll be able to see essentially the most flowers and timber in blossom.
Kirstenbosch is a good place for a picnic on the grass. You possibly can carry your personal meals or purchase a picnic basket at one of many eating places contained in the Backyard. Moyo has a really numerous picnic menu that features meat, pescatarian, gluten free and vegeterian choices.
In the summertime season (finish of November – starting of April) each Sunday at 5pm a Summer season Sundown Live performance takes place within the Backyard. It’s an open-air picnic like live performance. It’s higher to purchase tickets upfront.
Constantia wine space
- Finest time of the day to go to; afternoon is the most effective time you’ll be able to mix lunch and wine tasting
- Admission payment; entrance to the farms is free, wine tasting prices between ZAR 70-100/US$ per particular person.
- Working hours; most tasting rooms are open between 10am and 4pm.
- Parking; all farms have parking heaps close to their tasting rooms
- Hop-on bus route: first, take the blue path to get to Constantia Nek Wine cease. From there swap to the purple route with three stops at Groot Constantia, Eagle’s Nest and Beau Constantia.
Constantia is the oldes wine space in South Africa and the oldest wine-producing area within the Southern Hemisphere. Groot Constantia, some of the well-known wine farms within the space, was established in 1685 by Simon van der Stel, the governor of Cape City.
There are a number of wine estates in Constantia. I’d advocate selecting 2-Four locations relying on how a lot time you’ve gotten. Wine tasting takes time, it’s tough to take pleasure in it when you’re in a rush. If you happen to favor to not drive whereas tasting wines you’ll be able to be a part of a half day wine tasting tour. It contains pick-up and drop-off at your resort in Cape City, a go to to three wine estates with tasting and lunch. You don’t have to fret about something, simply chill out and benefit from the day.
One of the best ways to discover the world is to remain right here for one evening and spend two total days visiting wine farms and doing tasting. The Constantia Valley is spectacular, an ideal place for a romantic vacation or weekend. You don’t must be a wine skilled to take pleasure in wines. Even when nothing concerning the wine tradition in the course of the tasting you’ll get an opportunity to be taught loads. Who is aware of perhaps by the tip of your journey you’ll turn out to be an actual wine connoisseur.
Locations to remain in Constantia
In contrast to in different wine areas like Stellenbosch or Franschhoek the place there are dozens of farms Constantia Valley has solely 9 farms. Which is nice in a means as a result of when you resolve to spend right here two days you’ll have sufficient time to go to all of them.
The primary wine estates in Constantia
Groot Constantia might be the one which it is best to embody as a result of it’s the oldest farm and it’s a really lovely property. Wine tasting right here from ZAR 100/US$5 per particular person. Open Mon-Solar 10am-4pm (you should buy wine tasting tickets until 2.30pm). There’s a good restaurant with an outside terrace on the property.
Klein Constantia is taken into account to be some of the lovely wine estates in South Africa. It was established simply after Groot Constantia in 1685. There’s a bistro the place you’ll be able to have lunch with a wide ranging view of the valley. Tasting from ZAR 100/US$5. Open Mon-Sat 10am-5pm, Solar 10am-4pm.
Eagle’s Nest is one other lovely property with nice wines. The farm is situated on the slope of the hill and provides some wonderful views of the vineyards and the valley. Tasting ZAR 75/US$4. Open Mon-Solar 10am-4.30pm.
If you happen to don’t have a lot time to go to each well-known wine areas close to Cape City Constantia and Stellenbosch you’ll be able to select one in every of them. We, personally, favor Stellenbosch; there are extra wine estates however Constantia wine farms are equally nice and exquisite.
Group 4. Stellenbosch & Franschhoek are our two favourite cities in South Africa. Each time once we’re within the nation we spend our wedding ceremony anniversary, Valentine’s Day or only a romantic weekend in one in every of them. You possibly can drive right here for a day with a rental automobile or be a part of a full day wine tasting tour from Cape City.
One of the best ways is to remain right here no less than for one evening to have sufficient time to go to a few wine estates, exit for dinner and benefit from the breathtaking surroundings of the Winelands. If you happen to take pleasure in nice wine and scrumptious meals you’ll be able to simply keep for every week in each Stellenbosch and Franschhoek there’s a nice variety of wonderful wine farms and eating places to go to.
- Finest day of the week to go to; Fridays & Saturdays the city will get busy, there are a few avenue markets on Saturday.
- Admission payment; entrance to the farms is free, wine tasting prices between ZAR 50/US$2,5 and ZAR 100/US$5 relying on the property.
- Working hours; most tasting rooms are open Mon-Sat between 10am and 4pm. Some tasting rooms are open on Sundays however they shut earlier round 12pm.
- Parking; all farms have parking heaps close to their tasting rooms
Stellenbosch is a wonderful Univesrity city within the coronary heart of Cape Winelands. There are greater than 150 wine farms round Stellenbosch. In fact not all of them do wine tasting and are open to the general public however many are. We’ve been to Stellenbosch many occasions and each time we attempt to go to a few wine estates however to date we managed to do not more than 20 farms. Extra details about wine farms round Stellenbosch you will get in our detailed put up Wine tasting in Stellenbosch.
The city and the encompassing space look splendid in spring – starting of summer time, it’s my favourite time to come back right here. Wine tasting shouldn’t be the one exercise in Stellenbosch, there are numerous out of doors things that you are able to do right here; mountaineering, MTB, horse using, path working, and so on. Many wine farms have mountaineering and MTB trails on the property the place you’ll be able to mix tasting with mountaineering or biking. If you wish to know extra about completely different actions within the city our put up Superb things to do in Stellenbosch could be useful.
Most wine estates help you share one tasting between two folks. We alwasy do it, it’s cheaper and also you get sufficient to style.
Our favourite wine estates in Stellenbosch
- Tokara – some of the lovely farms within the space. The situation is spectacular, the views are breathtaking. Open Mon-Solar 10am-5.30pm. Tasting ZAR 75/US$4.
- Waterford – a little bit Italian corber hidden within the vineyards of Stellenbosch. Open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm, Sat 10am-5pm, Solar closed. Tasting from ZAR 90/US$5.
- Delair Graff – gorgeous views, lovely backyard and nice wines. Open Mon-Sat 10am-5.30pm, Solar 10am-4.30pm. Tasting ZAR 75/US$4.
- Spier – a fantastic place to begin tasting with, their chocolate and wine pairing is sensible. Mon-Wed, Solar 9am-5pm, Thu-Sat 9am-6pm. Tasting from ZAR 40/US$2.
- Jordan – a wonderful property surrounded by the vineyards with good wines. Open Mon-Solar 9.30am-4.30pm. Tasting ZAR 55/US$3.
If you happen to journey with youngsters wine tasting could be not their favourite timespending however there are locations in Stellenbosch the place youngsters will discover how one can maintain themselves busy. Fairview is one in every of such locations. Fairview is a wine and cheese farm so dad and mom can take pleasure in tasting whereas children watch cute goats that roam round on the grass, climb on the highest of the goat tower and stroll over steep bridges. Open Mon-Solar 9am-5pm (on Sundays wine tasting until 12.30pm). Tasting from ZAR 40/US$2.
Spice Route is one other great spot for vacationers with youngsters right here the entire household can take pleasure in tasting; for adults wine and cheese, for youths chocolate and ice cream. Plus there are a number of mountaineering trails of various size for all ages. Open Mon-Solar 9am-5pm. Tasting from ZAR 40/US$2.
Extra particulars on completely different wine estates round Stellenbosch yow will discover in our Information to the most effective wine estates in Stellenbosch.
Locations to remain in Stellenbosch
- Finest day of the week to go to; any day is nice however Sunday. Most locations together with eating places are closed on Sundays.
- Admission payment; entrance to the farms is free, wine tasting prices between ZAR 50/US$ and ZAR 100/US$ relying on the property.
- Working hours; most tasting rooms are open Mon-Sat between 10am and 4pm.
- Parking; all estates have free parking heaps
Franschhoek is one other unimaginable place to go to for individuals who take pleasure in nice wine and scrumptious meals. It’s the meals capital of South Africa that homes among the greatest eating places and wine estates within the nation.
Franschhoek is all about wine, effective eating and artwork. I completely love this city and the encompassing space. It’s completely lovely. Eating and wine tasting are usually not the one actions that you are able to do in and round Fanschhoek. Visiting Huguenot Monument and Museum, driving over Franschhoek Go, mountaineering in Mont Rochelle Nature Reserve. A number of farms supply mountaineering and biking trails so you’ll be able to mix wine tasting and out of doors experience. For extra detailed data on the actions in Franschhoek test our put up Finest things to do in Franschhoek.
You possibly can go to Franschhoek as part of a tour from Cape City to Cape Winelands. If you wish to see extra of Franschhoek you’ll be able to be a part of a day tour from Cape City to Franschhoek that features a return switch out of your resort and the hop-on hop-off wine tram that makes stops at a number of wine farms. You get gorgeous views from the double-story tram driving by the vineyards, style nice native wines and don’t have to fret about getting again to Cape City.
Our favourite wine estates in Franschhoek
- Dieu Donne – in all probability our favourite farm in Franschhoek, we love their Wooded Chardonnay. Nice views from the tasting room. Open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm, Sat, Solar 10.30am-5pm. Tasting ZAR 75/US$4.
- Boschendal – an incredible farm with nice wines with an enormous backyard the place you’ll be able to set a picnic. Open Mon-Solar 10am-6pm. Tasting from ZAR 65/US$3,5.
- Haute Cabriere – a pleasant place to mix a lightweight tapas-like meal with wine tasting whereas having fun with lovely views. Open Mon-Sat 8am-8pm, Solar 8am-4pm. Tasting from ZAR 15/US$1.
- Chamonix – one of many few locations the place you’ll be able to style Pinot Noir in South Africa. Open Mon-Solar 10am-4.30pm. Tasting ZAR 75/US$4.
- Leopard’s Leap – a pleasant place to begin your Franschhoek wine tasting experience. Open Tue-Sat 9am-5pm, Solar 11am-5pm. Tasting ZAR 55/US$3.
Locations to remain in Franschhoek
If in case you have extra time and actually need to experience Franschhoek spending right here a few days is a good way to do it. Like in Stellenbosch there are numerous gorgeous estates across the city that provide lodging. Sitting with a glass of wine on a porch watching the sundown within the vineyards is an incredible experience.
Group 5. Chapman’s Peak, Cape Level, Boulders Seashore and Muizenberg. All these locations are situated alongside the coast. Collectively they make an ideal day street journey with breathtaking surroundings and wonderful points of interest. For extra particulars on the drive learn our put up The very best weekend street journey in Cape City.
You possibly can mix this drive with visiting points of interest from Group 3. Begin your day from the Chapman’s Peak drive. From there drive to Cape Level Nationwide Park and spend a few hours there. Then head to Boulders Seashore to see the penguins. Cease in Muizenberg to take some pictures of the colourful seashore cabins. From there drive to Constantia to do some wine tasting and end your day in Kirstenbosch. You are able to do it different means round and go to Kirstenbosch first and end with Chapman’t Peak Drive. This fashion you’ll get to drive alongside the coast at sundown.
There are two methods of visiting these locations; renting a automobile or becoming a member of a tour from Cape City. If you happen to hire a automobile you’ll have extra flexibility. With a full day tour you get to go to all of the points of interest however you don’t want to fret about something or do any planning. It could be an excellent choice when you journey alone.
If we discuss our favourite weekend drive in South Africa Chapman’s Peak Drive shall be on the high of our checklist.
- Finest time of the day to drive; it’s lovely at any time however at sundown the world appears essentially the most spectacular.
- Admission payment; there’s a street toll between Hout Bay and Noordhoek, ZAR 50/US$2,5 per automobile.
- Working hours; 24 hours
- Parking; there are a number of look-outs alongside the street the place you’ll be able to cease your automobile for taking pictures.
The drive begins in Hout Bay and finishes in Noordhoek. A 15-kilometre drive alongside the rugged coast of the Cape Peninsula. Earlier than beginning the drive you’ll be able to cease in Hout Bay to look at Cape seals taking part in on the harbor. If in case you have sufficient time you’ll be able to go snorkeling with seals. They’re very playful and curious and love interacting with folks.
- Finest time of the day to go to; morning (in summer time) when you’re planning on doing some hikes, it could get extremely popular within the afternoon.
- Admission payment; ZAR 320/US$17 adults, ZAR 160/US$Eight youngsters.
- Working hours; every day October – March 6am-6pm, April – September 7am-5pm. The funicular, eating places and outlets open at 9am.
- Parking; there are a number of parking heaps contained in the park, the principle one is at Decrease Funicular Station.
The Cape Level Nationwide Park is just gorgeous. If you wish to discover a place for mountaineering in Cape City that is the most effective and possibly the most secure space to do it. There are a lot of trails, boardwalks and seashores you could discover on foot. One can spend the entire day within the park. There’s a 2-day trek Cape Level route that means that you can uncover some hidden corners of the park and to benefit from the lovely surroundings. Extra particulars on the trek yow will discover in our put up Cape of Good Hope mountaineering information.
Things to not miss in Cape Level Nationwide Park
- Flying Dutch Funicular that can take you as much as the view-point. You should buy funicular tickets on-line, it’ll prevent a while within the park.
- Outdated Lighthouse
- Diaz Seashore
- Cape of Good Hope
Boulders Seashore (Penguin colony)
- Finest time of the day to go to; you’ll be able to see penguins at any time. It’s much less crowded early within the morning.
- Admission payment; ZAR 160/US$Eight adults, ZAR 80/US$Four youngsters.
- Working hours; Mon-Solar 8am-5pm
- Parking; free parking close to Boulders Seashore Guesthouse & Restaurant or at Seaforth Seashore car parking zone. Each are a couple of 5-minute stroll to the penguin colony.
For a lot of vacationers a go to to the Penguin Colony at Boulders Seashore turns into one of many highlights of their journey. The seashore is gorgeous; effective white sand, big granite boulders, clear blue water and lots of cute Africa penguins strolling and swimming round. You possibly can see them from very close-by and take some superior pictures.
African penguins inhabiting the seashore are one of many smallest penguin species on this planet. Grownup species weigh 2,5-3,5kg and are 60-70cm tall. They are often discovered solely in South Africa and Namibia. The reserve was established in 1982 to guard African penguins that had been on the border of extinction. There have been only some of them left within the space. During the last 28 years the colony has grown to 3000 birds.
Boulders Seashore is situated in Simon’s City near Cape Level Nationwide Park. There are some nice lodging choices for individuals who need to spend a day or two having fun with the views and exploring the Cape Peninsula.
Locations to remain in Simon’s City
- Finest time of the day to go to; the seashore appears gorgeous earlier than the sundown like another seashore round Cape City. Don’t stroll on any seashore after the sundown in the dead of night, it’s not protected.
- Parking; parking heaps alongside the seashore.
This seashore city is a very fashionable browsing spot in Cape City. Many individuals come right here to be taught browsing. There are a few large surf faculties that provide classes and lodging. Like anyplace in Cape City the water in Muizenberg is chilly even in summer time, you’ll want a wet-suit to surf right here. No matter gear you want you’ll be able to hire it at one of many surf outlets alongside the seashore. If you wish to be taught browsing it’s higher to remain in Muizenberg for a few days.
Colourful seashore cabins is one more reason many vacationers come right here. Yellow, pink, blue and inexperienced shade wood cabins on the white-sand seashore make an ideal photograph spot.
Have in mind the drive from Simon’s City to Muizenberg is just 16km however resulting from frequent visitors jams it could take one hour to drive it.
Locations to remain in Muizenberg
Really helpful guidebooks
Many books and guidebooks are accessible without spending a dime for Amazon Kindle Limitless customers, this system means that you can get entry to hundreds of e-books and audio books from any machine (Kindle, pill, cellular). You possibly can strive Amazon Kindle Limitless without spending a dime for 30 days.
Like this put up? Pin it!